The Arizona Archives Matrix is an ongoing project for gathering data about archival collections around the State of Arizona. This benefits both Archivists and the general public wishing to access Arizona’s archival holdings. By working together, archival professionals can evaluate state-wide collecting strategies and isolate areas of weakness in individual holdings.
The project has multiple goals:
- Help archivists identify their own institution’s collecting scope, as well as the collecting scope of other repositories
- Eliminate competition for collections and reduce overlap
- Provide researchers access to and awareness of collections of which they were previously unaware
- Identify split collections and reunite them either physically or digitally
- Highlight overrepresented and under-documented topics as a first step towards responsible collection development